Teachers remain concerned by post-Covid attainment gap

A new poll by Renaissance found that closing the post-pandemic attainment gap was a key concern of teaching staff ahead of the new school year

Addressing the post-pandemic attainment gap is among teachers’ key concerns in the new school term, according to a survey by Renaissance.

A poll for the online learning provider found that one in five heads and teachers expected it to be their biggest challenge, with 40% of teachers feeling unprepared to measure the differences in attainment caused by Covid-19.

Almost half of the survey’s respondents said they felt unprepared to act on attainment differences.

More than three-quarters (76%) of teachers felt that literacy learning loss would be the hardest gap to close, while maths skills were a concern for 20%.

A more positive corollary of the pandemic was found in technology, with three-quarters of teachers declaring an improved confidence in using edtech.

Another area of worry for many teaching staff ahead of the new school year was the impact of the cost-of-living crisis on colleagues and pupils, with 20% saying it was a key concern.

Renaissance’s survey results are drawn from a relatively small pool of people working in education. Of the 273 respondents, 64% were teachers and headteachers, while the remaining 36% consisted of senior leadership members and administrative staff.

Last month, an altogether larger poll of more than 4,000 teachers by the Sutton Trust found that 72% of teachers expected the attainment gap between poorer pupils and their classmates to widen at their school.

In other news: CBBC fly-on-the-wall documentary series, ‘Our Boarding School’, will offer a behind-the-scenes perspective on life at Badminton girls’ school

Leave a Reply

Send an Invite...

Would you like to share this event with your friends and colleagues?

Would you like to share this report with your friends and colleagues?

You may enter up to three email addresses below to share this report